Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, October 05, 2014

Abiquiu Adventure Day 1

' Magic Hour Walk'. 6x6. Pastel

The unpacking and settling in would have to wait. Arriving at our destination at the Magic hour was tricky. I needed to unpack but the magical light of New Mexico was calling. I grabbed my camera and decided to explore the grounds of the Abiquiu Inn instead. It was a good decision.

Everywhere I looked there was something I wanted to paint! The sun was low giving rise to dramatic shadows and brightly illuminated cottonwoods and chamisa. Finally I got to experience them in their autumn splendor. And the moon.....it was hanging low in the sky almost perched on the side of a cliff. Pure magic.

I came upon a path to what appeared to be a distant clearing. It was lit by the setting sun. Curious, I followed it and it led to a pasture. There were a few horses in the distance but two caught my eye. The three of us locked gazes for an instant. Two white horses. I managed to take a picture before they turned and ran into t he setting sun. Yes this was better than unpacking!

I returned to my room inspired. I took out my pastels and did a quick study from my memory of the Magic Hour walk. It's going to be a great week.

 

1 comment:

robertsloan2art said...

Wow! Love the memory painting and the incredible photos. Your camera must be amazing getting that much detail on the moon, it's gorgeous. Beautiful horses.

What a great start to a trip! Go you! Paint lots!