Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

At the Top of 99 Steps


At the top of the 99 steps in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas...this is the view that will greet you. On a recent cruise, I walked up the famous steps and the view took my breath away! Perhaps I should name this painting 'Verandah Dreams' This painting is 12 x 18 on Art Spectrum paper. I worked on it over 3 weeks at my art class. We are working on making value sketches first to make sure we have pleasing shapes and areas of light and dark...not too spotty. Then as we paint we need to be true to our value sketches. I originally had this painting way to dark. I had to keep making the roofs lighter and lighter! I am learning to take it slow and really think about what I am doing as I paint.

No comments: