Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Saturday, February 02, 2019

A Quick and Easy Tip for Choosing a Color Palette



Color Study Abstraction.    3x6            pastel            ©Karen Margulis

Before I start a painting I always like to select my pastels. I want to have a limited palette. But how does one decide what pastels to use? I like to see how my color choices will work. It is better to see this BEFORE starting the painting rather than testing and potentially overworking the painting. The more you test and try colors on the painting the more you risk getting muddy and dull results.

I like to do small color studies before I start a larger painting but sometimes I am anxious to get started and don't take the time to do a mini painting. I have a solution.....I make color notes. I make a mark with the colors I think I want to use. This way I can see how my color choices work together. It saves a lot of frustration...and paper.

IMPORTANT: Color notes need to be done on the same color paper as you will be using. For example making color notes on white paper when you will be painting on black will give you conflicting information. For today's painting I was using a middle value tan paper so my color notes need to be done on the same color paper.

Today I am sharing one of my color notes for a new Paint Along Video series I just finished filming. The more I looked at the swatch of colors the more I liked it for it's abstract quality.I am thinking I might use this swatch as inspiration for a future abstract painting!

The photos below are a sneak peek at the newest addition to my Patreon Page.....a Paint-Along Video series! If you join at the Silver level of $6 a month you will have access to the series. I will break down the painting into four parts (videos) making it  easy for you to paint along with me! I will take you through the planning stage, the underpainting stage, the painting and finally the resolution of the painting. If you have been thinking about trying Patreon now is a great time! The first video in the series starts this week!  www.patreon.com/karenmargulis







No comments: