Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, March 03, 2019

How to Paint a Bumblebee


'Just Add Bees'              16x20              pastel          ©Karen Margulis
available $250
I love putting bumblebees into my wildflower paintings. It gives them life and helps to tell a story. I always wanted to add them but I wasn't sure how. I didn't want them to be a distraction. I wanted them to be a mere suggestion. I played around with various ways to paint bees and settled on this very simple method. The important thing to remember his the the bees are just a selection of colors and shapes. I don't draw them and color them in!

  • I use just a few pastels for the bees....a dark purple (Terry Ludwig eggplant) a dark blue Nupastel, a warm and cool yellow (very soft), pale lavenders and a bright blue.
  • I decide where to place the bee and make a small mark with the dark purple. I don't do any drawing! It is all a matter of making marks.
  • I place two small marks next to the purple with the warm yellow. I add a touch of the cool yellow. Softer pastels such as Schminkes are perfect for the bees. They leave a nice juicy mark. 
  • I make these marks and leave them alone.
  • I use the pale lavenders to suggest the wings.
  • The hints of legs are done with the sharp edge of the dark blue Nupastel.
  • I use the bright blue for an accent on the dark parts of the bee.
  • Each bee is a collection of about 10 strokes or less.








A few of my bumblebee pastels




No comments: