Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

I Came Home Inspired! Workshop Review

'Mountain Meadows'      16x20             pastel              ©Karen Margulis  
 Last weekend I went back to the mountains. It was the 4th team workshop I taught with Marsha Hamby Savage who was my first pastel instructor.  We always have a great time and this was no exception. We had the privilege of sharing with 15 wonderful artists. They were a talented and hard working group. We shared with them but I was the one who came away inspired!

At every workshop I meet the most wonderful people. Artists are the best! We get one another. And I enjoy every minute of getting to know the artists in the class. As one of the artists put it.....we not only learn about painting techniques from the instructor we learn so much more from one another  I always come away from a workshop with a list of new ideas and tools to try. I ca't wait to share them with you!

Here are a few photos from the workshop. This is actually the last workshop I have planned for 2019. I do have some availability late August-early September and late November -December of 2109. If you are part of a group that would like to host me send me and email and let's talk! karenmargulis@gmail.com

A place by the river

A couple of quick field studies
This was both a pastel and oil Plein air workshop. Marsha did 2 oil demos and I did my demos in pastel. We held the first day's class inside at the Blue Ridge Mountains Art Association. This allowed us to go over some of the basics of planning and starting a plein air painting.  I shared my plein air philosophy of doing small field studies. The Queen Anne's Lace painting was my demo ...larger than my usual plein air paintings but I wanted everyone to be able to see my demo!

The second day we met at Marsha's cabin on the Toccoa River. We gathered down by the river at a neighbor's deck for Marsha's oil demo. While she shared with the class I did a couple of quick field studies. In the afternoon I did a demo with a watercolor underpainting. (I'll share in another post)

Make a plan first!

Marsha on the deck doing an oil demo

Marsha's demo in progress
 The third and last day came too quickly! We met at the cabin again and both Marsha and I did a morning demo before the class was turned loose to paint until early afternoon. We ended the workshop with a sharing session and it was a wonderful opportunity to see and hear from each of the artists as they shared their work.

Day three demos

3 comments:

KGruszka said...

Hi Karen,
Beautiful pastel demos! Would you please share with us which Heilman box you were using? I could not tell if it was the new mini backpack or the sketch box double.
On the Heilman website it does not look like the sketch box double comes with a divider on each side. Thank you so much!

Karen said...

This is definitely the double sketchbox. I have two of them and they both have a single divider on each side. I did buy them when they first came out so perhaps they no longe make them with dividers? I would call Heilman and ask to confirm.

KGruszka said...

Hi Karen, Thank you for your reply. I called Heilman this morning and yes, they do make the double sketch box with the divider.