Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Monday, July 08, 2019

A Simple Tip for Saving Money on Pastel Paper

'Take me There'            8x10          pastel           ©Karen Margulis
sold
You know you want it.  Sanded papers. Pastels and sanded pastel papers make a wonderful combination but paper can be expensive.  You might think that you aren't good enough yet to spend the  money on sanded paper. You might not be able to find it easily in your local art store or of you do it is only sold in the pricey pads.

I haven't bought a pad of sanded paper in years.  Instead I purchase my paper by the sheet and cut it down to smaller sizes. It is a huge money saver and I can mix and match paper brands.  It is even a better value when I use the VIP coupons that the big online art stores offer by email.

Cutting down sanded paper is easy.  All you need is a ruler, pencil and some scissors!


You don't need a paper cutter or cut it with an exacto knife.  A pair of sharp scissors does the job very nicely.  The paper will eventually dull the scissors and when mine get dull I buy another pair at the dollar store....for $1.  I thought I would buy a nice pair and sharpen them but the dollar scissors work great!

I like to buy full sheets 18x24 of Uart paper. (my favorite) I leave them as a full sheet until I need paper. Sometimes I will paint large and use the full sheet. Sometimes I like 16x20 or 11x14. Most of the time I cut a sheet into smaller pieces. I can get four 8x10's from one sheet.  I use the remaining scraps to cut some minis (2.5x3.5)

Buying sanded paper by the full sheet can cost anywhere from $6 to $15 a sheet depending on the sales. I always wait for a coupon. Consider getting together with friends to split a paper order. (splitting pastels is also another great way to add to your collection)



My favorite online stores are www.dickblicks.com. They have always been quick to deliver and correct any issues and www.Dakotapastels.com as they always have everything a pastel artist needs and great customer service!

Today's painting:  8x10 on Uart with a value alcohol wash. This was a demo showing how to create a path into a painting. 

2 comments:

Kerry said...

A tip for those in the UK who want practice paper, I buy 'Titan Wet & Dry Sanding Paper Unpunched 240 x 290mm 600 Grit 10 Pack for £3.99' from Screwfix. They do it in other grits as well. I have tried the 320, but found it a bit rough and also the 1200, but found that a bit too smooth.

MYSTELIOS said...

Very beautiful landscape painting !!!