Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Saturday, July 27, 2019

More Fun with Micaceous Iron Oxide

'Magic in Provence'                8x10           pastel               ©Karen Margulis
available $175

It was the perfect subject to give this fun material another try. I recently discovered Golden's Micaceous Iron Oxide acrylic paint thanks to a Patreon member. It is acrylic paint but it has some grit which makes it a good choice to tone a support for pastels. It also has a wonderful dark gray color that makes pastels appear even more striking and vibrant. 

I applied the MIO with a cheap brush using random brushstrokes. In looking back it would have been cool to brush on the MIO in the direction of my lavender. Next time! Used the paint right from the jar without diluting with water. 

I have some other ideas for using this product. How about you? Have you tried Micaceous Iron Oxide? How have you used it?




I made a video of my first experiment with the Micaceous Iron Oxide. Click on the link below if you'd like to see. If you are a Patreon member I will be sharing this video with EXPANDED commentary at some point this month. 



So what is this magic material? It is actually a metallic acrylic paint by Golden. The makeup of the paint has metallic pieces that are like mica sense the name. When it is applied to a surface it is a dark metallic with a slight grittiness and sparkle. Very cool! You can thin it with medium or water but I used it straight from the jar. A little went a long way. I applied it to a piece of Multimedia Artboard but you can use any surface that can take wet paint!

No comments: