Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Monday, April 27, 2020

Making Time for Daily Painting

'A Place in the Sun'                   5x7             pastel             ©Karen Margulis
available $100
It seems that I have less time than ever. I haven't left the house since March 3rd so you would think I would have plenty of free time! I have more projects than ever and it is keeping me very busy. Besides working on the blog, Patreon and YouTube I am working on an online workshop experience which will be ready in May! I am also working on projects around the house. Our backyard has been sadly neglected so we are working hard at making it into a peaceful oasis! Tomorrow the grass/sod arrives so we have last minute preparations to complete.

Even though I am busy I still want to make time for a daily painting. Today I decided to return to my roots and paint a quick 5x7! It felt great to get dusty and revisit a wonderful memory of my trip to Provence. Now back to the yard!

Here are a few tips if you would like to make daily painting a habit!
  • Keep paintings small 6x8 and 5x7 are ideal sizes 
  • Keep them quick. Set a timer for 15-20 minutes
  • Keep supplies set up even if it is just a small set that is easy to access. Precut your paper and select a variety of reference photos.
  • Simplify! start with a few big simple shapes.
  • Create a roadmap of values....decide what is mostly dark, light and mid value.
  • Choose the area of interest and put the most clarity in this area
  • Leave some mystery....don't put in every detail. The time limit helps.
  • When the timer goes off STOP. Paint another one if you still have time but don't fiddle with the first painting. It is a warm up study!
  • Evaluate the painting and decide on 3 marks to finish. place those mark and call it done!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Love your lessons, Karen. Now don't forget to show us your finished (or even unfinished garden) I'm betting it will be beautiful!