Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Wednesday, July 01, 2020

Time to Paint Some Rocks!

'Summer in Ireland II'                  12x18                  pastel                ©Karen Margulis
available $195
 The focus of the month is rocks! Rocks in the landscape and rocks in the water. Rocky cliffs and rock walls. I love having a focus for my paintings. I work more efficiently with an assignment. When I don't have a focus I tend to get lost and end up puttering around the studio and not accomplishing as much. When I have an assignment I am energized! I go down into the studio with anticipation and excitement to learn new things.

I don't paint rocks all that often so making them the focus of my paintings this month will allow me to practice and explore an unfamiliar subject matter. I have combed through years of reference photos pulling out rock related photos from my travels. Today's painting is from a summer trip to Ireland.

I wanted the rocky outcrops to have texture. These were not smooth rocks. They were old and rough and covered with lichen and moss. I needed textured paper! The perfect solution was to use some clear gesso to liquify an unfinished demo painting. The gesso created a textured grayish surface and the peek from the older painting was just the right color and value for my Irish landscape.

Repurposing an unfinished demo painting
Join us on Patreon this month for an exploration of rocks of all kinds! www.patreon.com/karenmargulis

No comments: