Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Mountain Field..First Oil Painting!

'Mountain Field' 5x7 oil
Yes you read that correctly! I spent my Utrecht gift card money on some oil paints and here is my first attempt. . I thought it was time that I learn how to paint with oils although it will be a weekend thing for me. Pastels work much better with my schedule. It was fun playing outside my comfort zone...now I need to go back over all those books I have about oil painting. I started with a limited palette of just 5 colors...to limit my expense as well as force me to learn to mix the colors. It will be a learning curve but a fun one!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your oil painting is just as good as your pastels...looking forward to seeing more!

Karen said...

Thanks!!! It was a lot of fun!

bj said...

Looks like you might have some mineral spirits in your blood! The scene is lovely.

When I started painting in oils, I thought I had to buy every color there was. I have now settled into a limited palette. It's easier, faster and you learn how to mix the exact color you want.

Karen said...

Thanks Bj. It's all very foreign to me but I will be determined to figure it out!

Takeyce said...

Congrats on a beautiful first oil painting, Karen! It's fantastic!