2018 Workshop Details Coming Soon! click here
Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Winter Stream Pastel Painting

'Winter Stream' 11x14 pastel
I'm back to winter painting today. I have been wanting to paint a winter stream and loved this view with the sun on one bank and the other bank in shadow. It looked like a good challenge. I did a turpenoid wash underpainting using hard pastels to block in the main shapes.You can see in the left corner I was able to leave a lot of the underpainting showing. I usually cover it all up but this time I liked the colors so I left it.

4 comments:

Denise Antaki said...

Beautiful rendering! I love walking in the woods and seeing the streams. Do you have snow now in Atlanta? I'll see if I can send you some pictures. Very wintery here.

Karen said...

Hi Denise! Thank you and No we don't get much snow at all here in Atlanta so I am snow deprived. I'd love some wintry photos!! I love to paint winter scenes.
Thanks for stopping by :)

Elaine said...

I really love the colours you have used in this. The reds in the light really caught my eye. Lovely!

Karen said...

Thank you Elaine! I appreciate your comments!