Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, May 27, 2010

St. George Island Sunset 11x14 pastel

'Sunset on St. George' 11x14 pastel
Here is something a little different for me.....ok a lot different, but it sure is fun to try new things! In my Basic Landscape class we talked about the different ways that pastel can be applied...on it's side, blended, and using the edge or point to make lines. I challenged everyone to try to do a painting using only lines...letting the colors blend optically rather than painting with layers. We used Uart paper that I toned with thin black acrylic paint. It was challenging to use strokes that we weren't used to and some ended up covering up their linear marks but it was fun trying something new. I enjoyed using some of the bright intense colors that I don't normally use.

No comments: