Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Autumn in the Lowcountry

'Autumn in the Lowcountry' 8x10 pastel
This is a scene from Edisto Island State Park in South Carolina. I spent a few days with my friends at the park in their wonderful remodeled cabins right on the marsh. We had cold and dreary weather most of the time but there was wonderful color in the marshes. I did this painting last night for my basic pastel class. We worked on simplifying our reference photos and making a value study. The goal was to use just enough details on top of the underpainting to suggest the grasses and trees of the marsh. We started painting from blurred photos so we wouldn't be tempted to put in the details too soon. I did the painting as a paint -along since we had a small group. I love painting the marsh!

Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $145 USD
Or, send me an email

3 comments:

Galya said...

Beautiful work!
Best regards!

Caroline Peña Bray said...

This is really something with its colours and sense of distance. I like the idea of working from a blurred photograph, it's a great idea. I often get bogged down in detail so this could really help. Thanks for the tip!

Karen said...

Thak you all for the comments! I hope the tip is useful!