Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Plein Air Tips #3 Make Room For a Tablecloth

'Daisy Picnic' 8x10 plein air pastel ©Karen Margulis
painted on location at Smith-Gilbert Gardens SOLD
Here is a piece of plein air equipment that you will be glad to have along....a vinyl table cloth! I have had my trusty turquoise table cloth for years and it goes on every painting trip with me. Mine is actually just half a cloth. My friend Jayne gave me half on one of our excursions and it has come in handy many a time. Make room for one in your bag!

my trusty vinyl tablecloth for plein air
  • Use it for a tablecloth! It is nice to have when you are taking a lunch break and the picnic table is questionable. It makes lunch fancier! If you don't have a picnic table even better to use on the ground or convenient rock.
  • Use it for a ground cloth. Protect your gear and your feet from cold ground or early morning dew. Lay the cloth down before setting up.
  • Use it for a seat. If you don't feel like setting up your easel, find a good spot, lay down the cloth and sit to paint. You are now protected from rocks and bugs.
  • Use it to cover your gear or yourself if you get caught in the rain.
  • Use it to protect a table or chair when painting without an easel. I use mine when I am 'lounge chair' painting.
I'm sure there are many more uses for the tablecloth. What have a missed? Comment below!

6 comments:

Cmichaudart said...

love the painting...and love the essential equipment! but I hate the verification words, I must be blind, took a break from commenting.

Carolyn Jean Thompson said...

I heard one from another artist. Use it upside-down under your easel at home to catch pastel dust that would land on carpet or flooring. The fiberous liner catches pastel dust.

Karen said...

Thanks Cindy and I apologize for the word verication. I tried turning it off and I was slammed with spam!! I know I lose comments but the spam was no fun!

Karen said...

Great idea carolyn! I'll have to give that a try.

robertsloan2art said...

Gorgeous painting and cool idea. I hadn't thought of getting a vinyl one though I usually brought a towel along most times I went out. Might have to go looking sometime since it sounds so useful!

As for your capcha word verification - for some reason yours always gives me very good coined terms for science fiction or fantasy stuff. They always seem to come out pronounceable and interesting. It's just coincidence but it may also be how the software chooses the random letters or syllables. Anyway, next time I'm working on a story that needs made-up terms, I'll probably open a comment and keep refreshing it.

Teri said...

Thanks for the tablecloth tip, as usual Karen you are always coming up with cool stuff to help with the process of painting!