2018 Workshop Details Coming Soon! click here
Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mixing Oils with Pastels...A Great Combination!

'Splendor in the Meadow'    11x14         pastel        ©Karen Margulis
I don't like wasting paint.  Yesterday I had just a little bit of oil paint left on my palette. It was hardly enough to save yet too much to throw away. I could have covered it or put in in the freezer as was suggested to me... but I knew I would be out of town and wouldn't be using it for awhile.  It was however the perfect amount of paint to use for an underpainting for a pastel!

oil stain underpainting on Uart pastel paper
I love the effects I can get with a drippy oil paint. If you get the consistency just right your paint will drip and form interesting patterns or spiderwebs. I just mix turpenoid with the paint until it is the consistency of tea. If it is too thick the paint will clog the tooth of the paper and you won;t get much pastel over it. Ideally you want to have a nice transparent underpainting. I don't ever use white because it will make the paint too opaque.

I choose my colors based on what I want to express in the painting. Sometimes I will go with complementary colors. Sometimes I'll set up for atmospheric perspective, sometimes it is a value underpainting.  I just go with what I think will best support my goals for the painting. For this underpainting I put in my dark values and then some oranges as a complement to the greens that will come.

In the finished painting you can see some of the underpainting peeking through. I really don't have a lot of thick pastel layers. Most of the work was done with the underpainting. I did ad some magic pastel dust for my finishing touches!

As you can see oil paint makes a great underpainting for pastels. Even if you don't do oils it is worth having a few tubes just for doing these underpaintings. You do need to use a paper that will take a turpenoid/wet wash. I used Uart which is my favorite.  Read more about underpainting in my post here.

I am headed to Chicago for the weekend so I have prepared some posts sharing some work I have not yet posted. I hope you will enjoy and I'll be back to regular posting next week. Be sure to sign up on the sidebar so you don't miss a post!

3 comments:

Shinhuey Ho said...

Great post! I knew the concept but often don't remember to apply it. Thanks for sharing!

Cindy Michaud said...

lovely results. its funny how a little bit of stingyness can help us create something wonderful!

Jana Hübner said...

It's a dream of a painting. :) I always adore what you've done. Greets from Germany