Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Summer Reflections and A New Acrylic and Ink Sunflower

'Summer Fun'        4x4      acrylic       ©Karen Margulis    sold

Now that Summer is coming to an end I am looking back to see what I accomplished.  Summer was very quiet and low key for me. I didn't have any big trips or exciting events.  I put most of my classes on hold so there was no planning or setting up for class.  I did paint though. I painted just about every day.

It was a summer of experimenting with my paintings.  I painted what I wanted and played with acrylics and oils.  I didn't produce what you might call a consistent body of work. There were no big pieces or anything worth entering in a show. I wouldn't say I did anything to advance my career but what I did do was important because it will lead to growth.

Sometimes it is just as important to allow yourself time to explore and paint what comes to you. These periods of down-time have a place in your journey. I may feel like I didn't accomplish anything tangible but what I did do will most definitely have an impact on my work....even if I don't know exactly how!

One of the projects I worked on were acrylic paintings on gallery wrapped canvas. I did a series of flowers and what made them fun were the lines I added with ink. It was a change from my pastels and I found them very relaxing to work on.  At the end of the summer my pens were all out of ink but I have restocked and will be painting more of these soon.



No comments: