|'Dragonfly Magic' 5x7 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
available in my Etsy Shop $75 click here
|Step One Using Workable Fixative|
- For this painting I am using Uart paper 500 grit. It is 5x7. I start by blocking in the background colors and the dragonfly with hard pastels. I use dark blue and black on the wings.
- My goal is to have the wings appear lacy and transparent and it seems odd to paint them black but stay with me!
- Next I spray the dragonfly with Blair Workable Fixative. It dripped some but that's OK
- When the fixative is dry I use my softer pastels to add another layer. I begin with the background.
- Next I work on the dragonfly and add color to the body and some yellow gold to the wings. Making the wings lacy is the last step.
- I use an iridescent pale silver/green pastel and lightly add a layer on top of the dark wings.
- Next I take a pushpin and draw lines into the pastel (see photo) This is like scratch art! I look at my photos to see how to draw the lines to look like the lacy wings. I also use a sharp black pastel pencil to add some dark touches. Finished!
|The Secret to Dragonfly Wings|