2018 Workshop Details Coming Soon! click here
Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction

Monday, October 15, 2012

Pastel Demo Monday! Pure Pigment Underpainting

'Down to the Sea We Go'      11x14    pastel    ©Karen Margulis
painting available for $165 here
I am back in the studio and it is Demo Monday!  I am working on a series of beach paintings this week.   I will be posting more about the series and what we will be doing in my pastel classes. Today I just needed to warm up after a week away from painting.  I chose to paint a beach path on Diane Townsend sanded paper with an underpainting using Createx Pure Pigments. Read on to see what I did!

Createx Pure Pigments used for the Underpainting

Underpainting on Diane Townsend sanded pastel paper

Step by step demo

  • (from top left)  I wanted to get a warm glow for my beach scene so I decided to do a warm orange and yellow underpainting. I decided to use some Createx Pure Pigments.  This is a liquid pigment that comes in many colors. I love using it for an underpainting because the color is so vibrant and intense. You only need a few drops of color. I paint it on with a brush and water it down.  I found the Createx Pure pigments in our local Pearl store when it was going out of business. I haven't seen it anywhere since though it is shown on the Createx website. I did find it online at this art store but I am not familiar with them. Renaissance Graphic Arts.  
  • After the underpainting dried I began the painting by blocking in all of the dark areas with a few dark value pastels in different colors of the same vaNext I work on the sky.  I put down several blues with the darkest coolest blues at the top. I also block in the darker parts of the clouds with some purples.I finish the sky by adding the light yellows and peaches in the clouds. Instead of pure white I use a pale pale yellow. I also put in the darker blues of the distant sea.
  • Now I continue the painting by blocking in the greens of the sea grasses. I use lighter cooler greens in the distant grasses. In this stage I use broad strokes in the direction the grasses grow rather than painting the grasses with lines. I want the grasses to appear natural without having every blade of grass painted!
  • Now for the sand!  I block in a darker peach and gold for the shadows and underpainting for the lighter sand colors.  I also continue to work on the grasses. I pay attention to the direction of the light so I can paint the warmer  grasses that are in the path of the sunlight.
  • Finishing touches: I put in a few blades of grass and refine some of the footprints in the sand. 
I hope you enjoyed this mini demo. If you are interested in learning more about Diane Townsend pastel Paper you might like to read my review post here. 

No comments: