|'Purple Rain' 8x10 pastel ©Karen Margulis $145 here|
The only issue I have with the process is that I seem to have gotten the best results on Ampersand Pastelbord. I like this surface but it is more expensive than regular sanded papers and for such an experimental technique I don't want to spend $6 plus on an experiment that may not work!
- UArt to the rescue! So for today's painting I decided to try just a plain unmounted piece of Uart paper. It happened to be 500 grit. I taped it to my foamcore support and blocked in my painting with Terry Ludwig pastels. I sprayed the clouds with some water and to my delight the pastel lifted and formed puddles. I got the paper pretty wet! Yes it did buckle and wave, quite a bit actually. I let it dry somewhat and then i covered the surface with glassine paper and placed some heavy books on top for several hours.
The painting dried flat after being weighed down with the books and a cool thing happened. The glassine paper had wrinkled and made an impression onto the wet pastel. These lines dried and formed my purple rain!
Now I know that I can experiment to my heart's content without worrying about expensive surfaces! This Uart paper sure does take abuse!