Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Raven is Watching Us.....on to Capitol Reef


'Down in the Valley of the Gods'. 5x7. Pastel

I have a thing for Ravens. We don't have them in Georgia so they are a bit of an exotic bird to us. I find them fascinating. We have been trying to get good photos of them but they have been mostly in flight. Today we had some better luck.

It was a day for driving. We left Monument Valley for the drive to Capitol Reef. Of course it took all day. We stopped at Valley of the Gods and I just had to paint there. The colors of the grasses were awesome. I set up on the ground and did a very quick study. After all we had quite a way to drive. It was all about the colors for me so my painting is a bit abstracted.

 

Next we stopped at The Goosenecks State Park to see the Goosenecks of the San Juan river. We saw a raven on the way and he told us which way to go. It was very cool and I was happy to find my own raven feather.

 

 

We arrived at Capitol Reef National Park where we relaxed by the Fremont River under the cottonwoods. raven watched from afar as we ate our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I tossed away my crusts and raven swooped down and collected them all.....every bit!

 

 

3 comments:

Monique Straub said...

Beautiful story. I'm sure the raven was was just as gratified with the meeting as you were :)

Observe Closely said...

I am REALLY enjoying these posts and your paintings along this trip. Thank you a million times for taking the time to create and post them all. It is quite a treat to me to be able to follow and watch your trip unfold. And very inspirational. Thank you.

Jan

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of the raven with the peanut butter sandwich crust.