2018 Workshop Details Coming Soon! click here
Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction

Monday, August 19, 2013

New You Tube Video...Do Your Pastels Whisper or Shout?

'An Island Walk'            6x6          pastel         ©Karen Margulis    $75 click here 

 If a picture is worth a thousand words than a video is even better. Especially when it comes to art demos.  I am often asked to explain how I make my marks with pastels. It is a challenge to explain it with word and pictures. It is so much better to show!

So the topic for my new You Tube video is Mark Making. I talk about the way I prefer to apply pastels and show you the various ways I make my marks.  I also discuss the issue of the amount of pressure I use.....whisper vs. shout.  It is a 12 minute video and I'd love for you to check it out!






Today's Nantucket Island paintings illustrate some of my favorite ways to apply pastel.


'The Evening Glow'        6x6         pastel         $75

In this painting I used a variety of marks. I used light whisper strokes to layer colors in the sky and sand.  I used heavier shouting marks in the sunlit foliage and the water. I also used some linear marks both in the grasses and in the sky.

chart of the various ways I apply pastel

Now Available: If you would like to see a complete landscape demo in PDF booklet format it is available in my Etsy shop. I plan to introduce a new demo download every month so I can share more than space allows here on the blog!

2 comments:

Debby said...

Thanks for the video! Very helpful information.

Carol Josefiak said...

Great information and explained in such a helpful way. Thank you