Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Monday, August 19, 2013

New You Tube Video...Do Your Pastels Whisper or Shout?

'An Island Walk'            6x6          pastel         ©Karen Margulis    $75 click here 

 If a picture is worth a thousand words than a video is even better. Especially when it comes to art demos.  I am often asked to explain how I make my marks with pastels. It is a challenge to explain it with word and pictures. It is so much better to show!

So the topic for my new You Tube video is Mark Making. I talk about the way I prefer to apply pastels and show you the various ways I make my marks.  I also discuss the issue of the amount of pressure I use.....whisper vs. shout.  It is a 12 minute video and I'd love for you to check it out!






Today's Nantucket Island paintings illustrate some of my favorite ways to apply pastel.


'The Evening Glow'        6x6         pastel         $75

In this painting I used a variety of marks. I used light whisper strokes to layer colors in the sky and sand.  I used heavier shouting marks in the sunlit foliage and the water. I also used some linear marks both in the grasses and in the sky.

chart of the various ways I apply pastel

Now Available: If you would like to see a complete landscape demo in PDF booklet format it is available in my Etsy shop. I plan to introduce a new demo download every month so I can share more than space allows here on the blog!

2 comments:

Debby said...

Thanks for the video! Very helpful information.

Carol Josefiak said...

Great information and explained in such a helpful way. Thank you