|'Ghost Ranch 3' 8x10 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
available here $150
- I paint small, no larger than 8x10.
- I paint directly with soft pastels, rarely doing an underpainting. I will sometimes tone the paper with pastel rubbed in or do a dry block-in.
- I paint quickly establishing the big shapes first and then any needed details. Each painting takes from 20 minutes to an hour to finish.
- I don't use my typical light touch layering technique. Instead I use a firm and direct application of pastel. I shout instead of whisper.
- I never go back and work on a painting in the studio. I leave them as studies.
I painted 30 small studies (8x10 and 5x7) while in New Mexico. Here they are in collages. Enjoy!
|'Late Day Majesty' 5x7 pastel $100|