Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, December 05, 2014

How To Make Great Ornaments From Paintings

'Winter Cardinal'            2.5 x 3.5           pastel                ©Karen Margulis
purchase for $15 click here 

I love collecting and painting small paintings. I call them minis. I have blogged about them often. Recently I shared ways to store and display these tiny pastels. I have another idea to add to the list.  Turn your minis into ornaments! What a wonderful way to personalize the tree than with beautiful original art!

Making ornaments from mini paintings are simple!  I slipped my painting into a clear bag with a piece of black foamcore backing. Next I cut a loop of twine and taped it to the back of the painting and voila! ....an ornament for the tree!  

Painting your own minis can be a fun holiday project. I am going to paint my favorite landscapes for my decorations but it would be fun to do any number of themes. How about a bird tree or a flower tree? How about paintings of ornaments? The ideas are limited only by your imagination!


Some twine, clear bags and foam core is all that is needed!
I have just listed my latest min pastels in my Etsy shop. Any of them would make great ornaments! See them all in my shop HERE.https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarenMargulisFineArt









6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sold three paintings this year and I'm thinking that doing a mini like this will be a good way to thank those collectors.
Rita Young

Unknown said...

I just love how creative you are and how I'm motivated to try some of these ideas!

Sandi Graham Pastels said...

Just gave a fellow artist friend and a "Karen " admirer (we are both pastelists ) one of your mini paintings I ordered from your etsy site and the Art Spirit book you recommend
and she was thrilled to have these gifts .I know I made her day special. The mini painting was beautifully wrapped with a tag with your art quote on it .
We both enjoyed the unwrapping as we couldn't wait to see your pastel strokes up close because we , after reading all of your blog posts know how they are done . It was great to see them in person. I'm filled with inspiration . Thanks.

robertsloan2art said...

Love those little winter scenes and the fluffed up cardinal! They would make gorgeous ornaments. This rocks!

Love the idea of a tree decorated all in minis.

Sandy Askey-Adams, PSA said...

Karen..this is a cool idea!

One of the galleries that has represented my work, asks his artists to do miniature paintings to hang on the gallery Christmas tree. They are very small and are framed. Varied mediums of course.
Looks soooooooo cool...and when customers enter the gallery during the holidays they are greeted with a beautiful, festive and fascinating exhibit of art work.

spiritualhealer said...

I've sold around 17 framed minis at our gallery's Christmas Boutique. People are loving them.