2018 Workshop Details Coming Soon! click here
Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction

Thursday, January 29, 2015

How Music Can Help Improve Your Paintings

'Summer Evening II'         11x14          pastel         ©Karen Margulis
purchase $165
I have been on a roll. It has been all about painting Iceland. In February I will be presenting a program with Sharon Weiss about our travels to Iceland for the Southeastern Pastel Society. I wanted to have some new studio paintings. I had sold many of the Iceland paintings done right after my June trip. It was fresh then. I painted with much emotion.

What happens when the freshness of the memories starts to fade? Sure I have photos but how would I be able to get back into right frame of mind to paint with feeling?

The answer is MUSIC. Not just any music though. I find that music evokes past memories. Just a certain smells can take you back to your grandmother's kitchen....music has the same power. If music can take you back to a place in your mind that brings your memories to life....your paintings can only be a better response to a flat photograph.

Listening to the music I played during my painting sessions right after my trip has the power to bring me back to that time. That music calls up all of my memories of Iceland. I spent the month after my trip holed up in my studio painting and writing about my trip. I put together a playlist on Spotify. I included some Icelandic groups as well as the Walter Mitty soundtrack. All I need to do is turn on this playlist and I am back to Iceland. It works and works well! I was able to paint 5 new Iceland paintings over the weekend and I look forward to sharing them.

If you missed my travelog to Iceland you can now read it and see my photos and paintings on a new blog. I invite you to have a look.  www.paintingiceland.blogspot.com

Today's painting: 11x14 on Canson. This is a scene from our dinner cruise on Breiðafjörður bay.

2 comments:

Linda Bice said...

Thank you so much for doing this blog on a daily basis. Your work is wonderful and so inspiring. I really look forward to your post showing up in my email each morning. I'm a pastel artist that has been having some trouble with motivation lately and you have helped me solve that problem! THANKS!

Julie Ford Oliver said...

what a great painting and a really interesting post.
Music - I agree.