|'A Good Year for the Queen' 8x10 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
Here is the painting that I decided to make over:
|The original painting was a winter landscape|
|the photo that inspired the revised painting|
Last summer was kind to Queen Anne's Lace. It was everywhere and it was thick! I had a photo that would work for my new landscape.
- To start the transformation I brushed off as much snow as I could. I then sprayed the painting with some workable fixative to seal the ghost image.
- I kept the major shapes of the trees and developed them a bit more. I added the distant blue mountain shape.
- Next I put in some nice rich darks that would form the pathway under the grasses.
- Time for the grass. I begin with a cooler and lighter green in the distance. I used a variety of greens in the mid and foreground to represent the variety of grasses.
- Next came the flowers. I wanted the Queen Annes Lace to drift lazily towards the trees. I varied the size of the flowers to create this effect....big to small.
- Some of the flowers were in shadows so they are blue.
- I choose a few flowers to highlight and make more important.
|a close up showing the textured surface|
Painting tips: This painting is on a piece of Multimedia Artboard that I prepped with clear gesso leaving a nice random texture. It was originally toned orange.