|'The Glow' 16x20 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
painting available $325
Take today's painting. I was working from a bad photo. It was too dark. It looked like a night shot but I remember it being late afternoon. The colors were washed out and the composition/shapes were something to be desired.
|the reference photo.....bad!|
- I moved the horizon up slightly to make room for some reflections.
- I broke apart the big clump of trees making them into a more interesting grouping.
- I added a smaller tree to the right for balance.
- I decided I liked the block in color of yellow for the sky and water so I changed my color scheme.
- The change in colors completely changed the mood of the painting but I like it better than the dark broodiness of the photo.
There is nothing like taking a bad photo and having fun making it into a more interesting painting!