Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

An Amazing Week in the Caribbean...Review of my First Art Cruise

'The View From Above'          8x10         plein air pastel             ©Karen Margulis
available $155
 I am back from an amazing week. When I came up with the idea of planning a pastel workshop on a cruise ship I couldn't have imagined how much fun it would be. Seven fantastic artists from all over the US came together for a week of learning, painting and relaxing in the Caribbean. We started out as strangers but left as friends! It was so much fun to share my tips and techniques for 'plein air lite'.

I had intended to post daily updates live from the workshop but I had forgotten by Google 2 step verification codes so I couldn't access my blog. Usually the codes are sent by text but my phone had to be kept on airplane mode while outside of the US. Lesson learned!

'Distant Paradise'          5x7        plein air       $50
 I chose the Carnival Breeze ship because of the fun and relaxed atmosphere. Carnival was also happy to provide us with a room to work in during the days at sea. We met in the mornings for instruction, demos and painting. It was all designed as preparation for plain air painting on the island ports of call.

We painted on the beach of St. Maarten. We took a tour of St. Thomas and painted together at the highest point...Mountaintop. The view was spectacular. We also visited Antigua and the Dominican Republic. Everyone embraced the quick field study approach to plein air which was needed in the hot and humid and sometimes windy conditions. I was so excited to see the wonderful work of the artists in the group!

'Relax'       5x7     pastel      $50

We also worked on painting sky studies and keeping a sketch travel journal. I especially enjoyed working on my sketchbook and I will share it in a future post.

It was a great week with great new friends. My husband joined me this time and he enjoyed being my sharp and all around helper. It was great to have him share this experience and we hope to do another art trip next year!

'Winter Break'        5x7      pastel     $50
If you would like to join one of my 2016 workshops there is still time to register! I have opening in Chicago, Huntsville, Alabama, Croatia, and New Mexico! Click here for details. 

2 comments:

robertsloan2art said...

Wonderful paintings! Oh, I wish I could've been one of those seven artists. I'd love it. The whole experience. I'm not keen on vacations as such but a painting workshop in one of my all time favorite climates would be pure joy. I love how you captured the sun and shimmering warmth, the rich tropical waters, that sense of goofing off! It's glorious! Your snow scenes walking dogs may make me flinch and remember overworked Chicago misery but these paintings and this trip sums up everything I wished I was doing when I slogged to those snowbound bus stops. So neat that you can paint a variety of climates!

Unknown said...

Beautiful paintings. I hope you will have another cruise workshop. I just found you, so maybe next year?