Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Advice for Surviving a Juried Art Exhibition

'A Special Kind of Quiet'         18 x 24       pastel       ©Karen Margulis
available $500
You have probably heard it before. A painting that was rejected for one show gets in another prestigious exhibition. Or a painting that doesn't win an award wins Best in Show in another exhibition. It happens. I've had something like this happen.  So if your painting was rejected or you don't get a prize it is helpful to keep this in mind. It might ease the sting a little.

I have been rejected from many shows over the years. I have had paintings accepted and not won a prize. ( I am always happy just to get in though) It can be an emotional roller coaster and it can really get you down if you let it. I usually allow myself a day to feel disappointment but then I put those feelings aside and concentrate on becoming a better artist. It is all a part of the growth process.

Tonight is the opening reception for the Southeastern Pastel Society's 17th International Exhibition. There are some fantastic paintings in the show and many more great paintings that didn't get in. Some will win awards and some will not. A juried show is full of ups and downs for everyone. Sometimes the whole process of entering, rejection, winning, and not winning can seem overwhelming .

I happened to come upon this quote today which is a good one to keep in mind for those who are entering or are considering entering juried shows.

" Prizes are nice, but the real competition is with yesterday's performance."  
   Irwin Greenberg

Prizes can be acceptance into a show as well as prizes given at the show.Both are nice but they are not a measure of your success as an artist.  Competition can be good if you can keep the ultimate prize in mind....your own personal growth as an artist. Be the best artist you can be at the moment and the rest will fall into place.


5 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

This si a REAL stunner!!

Carol Flatt said...

Well said, Karen! Thank you.

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Full of atmosphere... A real beauty!!
Great words of wisdom regarding shows. Thank you.

Marybeth said...

I've been receiving your emails for quite some time and thoroughly enjoy every one. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and talent! This one was especially encouraging.

Оксана said...

Karen, you are my favorite pastelist and the artist who made me fall in love with pastels. Thank you for opening this magic world to me. I've finished my basic drawing classes, starting tone drawing, then will go to oils just to have a strong background for the pastels. Your blog is a treasure and endless source of inspiration for me - I can see your growth through your archive posts and everyday practice. No matter who will take the prize at the exhibition - you've got the prize from your followers))) sorry for my English)))