2018 Workshop Details Coming Soon! click here
Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Rescuing the Ugliest Underpainting in the World


'Back to Iceland'            9x12        pastel       ©Karen Margulis
available here $160
The colors looked wonderful in the box. What's not to love about beautiful pure color?  But when I used them to block in my painting I had a scary mess.  Well it certainly looked like  mess but I actually had a method to my madness. I had a plan but I needed to see if my idea would actually work. It sure was an ugly underpainting! 



It was an experiment using a limited selection of a pastel brand that I had not yet tried. I can't even remember when I got this set of Charvin Water Soluble Pastel Painting Sticks. They looked and felt like a hard pastel stick with the claim of being useful for wet and dry painting. You can use them on damp paper or create washes with them. I decided to try them with a water wash underpainting.




The issue was the color selection in my box. They were all intense pure middle value colors. I usually like to do a value based underpainting and these sticks didn't allow for much of a value change. So I layered colors with the plan to create colorful grays.  My subject was a cool moody cloudy scene from my 2014 trip to Iceland. I needed some colorful grays to paint the moody sky.  The colors looked scary until I wet them with water.


Water wash on top of the Charvin pastels

As I wet the brush and mixed the layers of color the magic began. I was surprised at the wonderful drips that started to happen and the way the colors mixed and mingled. My underpainting was taking on a life of it's own. I saw some compositional issues that I needed to adjust  (horizon in the middle!) and I did the correction by drawing into the wet paper with the pastel. Fun!

My unmounted Uart paper took the water wash without a problem and within an hour it was dry enough for me to continue painting with my regular soft pastels. I enjoyed working on top of the underpainting and leaving some of the colorful grays alone!

close-up detail
I call this painting 'Return to Iceland' because I am getting ready for my next adventure in June....visiting my artist friend Elinros in Iceland! I am excited to return to Iceland and have her share her world with me! More on this adventure soon.

No comments: