|'Winter Lace' 8 x 10 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
It was the winter version of the QA Lace that gave me the idea for this series. I had started a frosty version of a stand of dried wildflowers a few years ago. The painting was abandoned in the unfinished object pile. I rescued it and gave it some finishing marks.
- I tried to use all cool colors. Red violet was the warmest color and I used dark, middle and light values of this color.
- I kept my palette limited and again on the cool side. Purples and blue-greens. No white though.
- I didn't use pure white to depict the frost. Instead I used very light values of the main colors in the painting. Note the pale blues, blue-greens and violets. They are almost but 'not quite whites'
- I sprayed the painting with workable fixative (Blair) and very lightly scumbled these pale pastels over the sprayed areas. This left a light haze of 'frost'
- I used the tip of a pale blue Nupastel to draw some fine lines to indicate frost covered grasses and stems.
Painting note: this painting was done on an Ampersand Pastebord. I haven't used this surface in awhile and I really enjoyed it!