Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Variation on a Theme: More Pink Poppies


'A Little Slice of Heaven'        6.5 x 12      pastel     ©Karen Margulis
available $95
 I have been looking at this odd shaped piece of paper for a couple of weeks. I started the painting as a quick demo for a private class. It was a meadow filled with poppies. It was a demonstration on creating depth in a landscape. It wasn't meant to be a finished painting. But you know me by now. I don't want to waste paper even if it is an oddly sized scrap.

The odd size was compelling though so I set the painting aside and would glance at it every now and then. I just wasn't in the mood to paint the scene I had started. This morning I looked at it again and I knew exactly what I wanted to do!


The quick demo in it's unfinished state
I really enjoyed the pink poppies that I painted on a whim yesterday. I don't think pink was out of my system. I decided that my poppy meadow needed a change of mood and color. Why not make it a moody day with pink poppies?


Brushed out and sprayed and waiting for more pastel
I brushed out the red poppies with a stiff brush and sprayed the meadow with workable fixative. This allowed me to add more layers on top of a nice dark base. I used the same palette of pastels from yesterdays painting. (a good reason to be messy and not clean up immediately after painting!)
It was fun to transform the painting into a new vision with new colors.

Try this: Do you have a painting sitting around that needs some TLC? Why not totally change the mood and color palette? Give it a makeover and see what happens if......

2 comments:

Susan Jenkins said...

I've got a few paintings that need makeovers. I could only dream of making them over like you did yours!

robertsloan2art said...

Oh that's fun! I liked both versions, but the pink poppies do have more punch!