|'Glorious Weeds' 8x10 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
|My new pastels from Russia|
|close up detail of the grasses|
Tips for Painting Grasses
- Build up to the delicate grass marks. Start with the dirt....big simple shapes of color
- Create broken lines rather than heavy lines for the grass blades...think Lyrical Lines
- Avoid the trap of trying to paint every bland of grass. Choose to put in a few well placed bladed of grass.
- Vary colors and direction of marks. Variation is the key
- Vary the pressure of your marks...push and release for a natural looking piece of grass
- Round pastels make excellent grass. Use the hard edge and draw or roll the pastel
Painting note: Uart 500 with a wet pastel underpainting. Inspired by my favorite park in Chicago.
Thank you to my dear friend for sending these pastels to me. I will certainly have fun with them and I appreciate your generosity!