Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

How To Start a Painting With an Abstract Underpainting


'A Flash of Red'          8x10         pastel         ©Karen Margulis
available $145
I'm not about to waste a good piece of Uart paper. So when I saw this piece on the pile I had an idea. It was covered with red and purple squiggly marks....the result of my recent video on mark making. It served it's purpose but I hated to just throw it away.

So as usual I put on my 'What If' hat and thought about how I could reuse the paper. The easiest thing to do would be an alcohol wash. So I poured some 70% isopropyl alcohol into a cup and took out a stiff bristle brush.  I scrubbed the alcohol into the pastel marks and let the liquid do its magic. I couldn't get rid of the heavy lines so they became a part of the new underpainting.

I'm not about to waste a good piece of paper!

When the underpainting was dry I was pleasantly surprised. It was actually kind of an interesting abstract painting. But in it I could see a red tree trying to emerge! It would be a great way to start my  intimate autumn forest scene. 

I usually have some kind of plan for my underpaintings. In this case I simply wet some colors and marks and let them become their own abstract design. I then responded to this abstract. It was a fun way to start a painting and one that I will definitely try again!

A little rubbing alcohol and voila!


The finished painting. Watch the demo on YouTube
NEW ON PATREON TODAY! I have posted a new video demo of an intimate autumn landscape (the painting at the top of this post)  This video is available to patrons who pledge the $4 a month for expanded content. Have a look: www.patreon.com/karenmargulis

No comments: