Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Saturday, November 25, 2017

How to Paint Believable Grasses

'Dream View'             11x21             pastel              ©Karen Margulis
available $175
I never get tired of this view. It's not mine but I do enjoy the photos I took. I've painted this scene many times and in many different ways. I love it because it lets me play with painting grass. I LOVE to paint grasses.

Grass can be a challenge and can make or break a painting. Grass that is painted too stiff, thick or regular can not only look unnatural it can create a visual barrier. The eye of the viewer can't get past this 'fence' of grass. The trick to painterly natural looking grass is to paint with BROKEN LINES. I show you in a video on my YouTube channel. Check it out and paint some grass this weekend!

Click for my video on painting Grasses in pastel :  https://youtu.be/n-MNHNxm6y8



Grass Marks that Don't Work. They are too stiff, thick and even.

Painterly and Believable Grasses created with broken lines.

My Reference Photo 
What's happening on Patreon this week? We have a new challenge this week designed to help you find the subjects you are passionate about. Join us! www.patreon.com/karenmargulis

No comments: