Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, August 19, 2018

A Summer Painting Assignment

'Summer Love'         6x8       pastel        ©Karen Margulis

School is starting for many. The stores are filled with Halloween decorations and fall attire. Where does time go?  But then I realize it is still August! Summer is still with us. In fact we are just out of the so called Dog Days of Summer...those hot and sultry days that leave us feeling lazy.

dog days. the sultry part of the summer, supposed to occur during the period that Sirius, the Dog Star, rises at the same time as the sun: now often reckoned from July 3 to August 11. a period marked by lethargy, inactivity, or indolence.

I love autumn and the changing of the seasons but there is no need to rush it. I am pledging to enjoy these long hot days of August. I want to savor the sights, smells and tastes of summer. A delicious garden tomato or a ripe juicy peach. The smell of freshly mown grass. The buzzing of the bees. The fields overflowing with my favorite wildflowers. All the things that inspire me and make my heart sing.

Then followed that beautiful season... Summer....
Filled was the air with a dreamy and magical light; and the landscape
Lay as if new created in all the freshness of childhood.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Join me in savoring the last month of summer. I am giving myself an assignment and I invite you to join me. I am making a list of my favorite summertime memories. I will then choose one each week as inspiration for a painting. I'll begin with my favorite summer motif.....Queen Anne's lace.

Enjoy and paint the lazy days of summer!

No comments: