Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, November 01, 2018

Change is Good! Simple Ways to Change a Painting

'Change is Good'            14x11       pastel        ©Karen Margulis
available $175
I was searching for some of my old tree paintings. I was looking to find a range from early to more current so I could see how my trees have evolved. I found some really bad trees! They couldn't help but improve and with such practice they have come a long way from my first tree paintings back in 2006! 
I came across one painting that was probably painted halfway through my journey with pastels. It was a summer aspen tree grove. I liked it but I wondered if I could change the season and make it into a fall scene. I put on my 'What If' hat and got to work.


The original painting was very green...summertime!
The original painting had a watercolor underpainitng. I liked the bits of watercolor that still peeked through so I wanted to keep a light touch. Can you see the simple changes I made?

Now it is fall!

  • I didn't brush out anything or spray....I just went right on top of the existing pastel.
  • I lightened the sky a tiny bit.
  • I add a light layer of dull yellows to the distant grasses.
  • I added ochres and warmer yellows to the foreground.
  • I punched up the lights and darks on the tree trunks.
  • I added some ochres and brighter yellows on top of the green leaves.
This month is TREE MONTH over on my Patreon page. If you want to learn tips and techniques for painting trees head on over and sign up for just $4. www.patreon.com/karenmargulis

2 comments:

MYSTELIOS said...

Very beautiful autumn colours !!!

robertsloan2art said...

One thing that worked so well in your changes is that going over the greens with the yellows gave a much more natural look of leaves turning, it was random and glorious. Reminds me of a couple of turning trees right down the lane from where I live! This kind of changing can make a painting sing, more than just following the original concept.