Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

New Pastel Demo Video: Queen Anne's Lace



'A Few of My Favorite Things'           8x10           pastel       ©Karen Margulis


"Are you painting the weeds again?" my husband likes to say when I am working on a Queen Anne's Lace painting. 

Weeds? Maybe. But they are glorious.  Have you ever really looked at a patch of Queen Anne's Lace?  I mean really look carefully at them.  The way they gracefully sway and nod in a breeze.  The complexity of a bloom which rivals the finest piece of lace. The beauty of the various stages of bloom from the tight bird nest stage to the wonderful colors of a spent bloom. And the colors ....greens and peach and lavenders and sometimes a delicate pink....heavenly.

Queen Annes Lace is  often overlooked. It is so common and ordinary.  They fill the roadsides and we hardly notice them as we speed by.  Not if you are an artist. Or anyone with a sensitive eye. We are able to see the beauty in the ordinary. We are fortunate to be able to see something interesting in the most common overlooked places. We are able to see and appreciate light and how it creates beauty.

I am thankful for being able to see the beauty that surrounds us. To really see it. To take it all in and then express it in a painting. It is my privilege to share this vision in my paintings and by pointing it out to those who might not notice. And when they do start to notice.... it is wonderful.  I have done my job.

I just released a video demo of a Queen Anne's Lace Painting. I take a failed painting and repurpose it into a close up view of Queen Anne's Lace.


Click on the link below for the Video

No comments: