Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Saturday, June 08, 2019

How to Overcome Rock Avoidance Syndrome

'Cool Waters'                 8x10            pastel               ©Karen Margulis
available $165

I have it bad. Rock Avoidance Syndrome. I find painting rocks daunting. Especially when they are a part of a busy forest and creek scene. It is sometimes hard to know where to begin. So I avoid them altogether. 

But then one day I realized. Painting a meadow filled with grasses and wildflowers is also busy. Why don't I have trouble painting  that subject? It is because I simplify it. I break the meadow down into simple shapes. I assign the shapes a value. I block them in and then I gradually add the detail. I look at shapes and values and color and I don't get lost in the tangle of the weeds. 

That is what I decided I needed to do with rocks and water. Slow down. Simplify and start with the big shapes.  It really helped me conquer a complicated subject! In the end I thoroughly enjoyed painting a scene that I have avoided!


The initial block in with Nupastels on Uart sanded paper


What's happening this month on Patreon?
We are continuing our exploration of water with a focus on beaches and sand and moving water and rocks. Check it out and consider joining the Patreon Community! www.patreon.com/karenmargulis



Avoid Potato Rocks!

No comments: