Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Wednesday, June 05, 2019

Splatter and Splash Your Pastel Paintings!


'Fun at the Beach'     18x12       pastel          ©Karen Margulis
available $175

The painting needed some life. It wasn't bad but it was dull. There was no light or movement. I had set it aside and moved on. But then one of my Patreon members shared a painting on which she had splashed gouache. It brought back memories of my experiments with watercolor ON TOP of pastel. 

I wanted to try it again. This time I had some tubes of gouache so I squeezed out some yellow and white and mixed it with some water. The I loaded my brush and flicked it onto my painting. I had the painting upright on the easel on a piece of foam core. That was a good thing because I was flinging paint everywhere! It was fun and I discovered that the thin puddles of paint worked better than the thicker puddles. Look at the close up photo below to see the splashes. They turned into flowers!


closeup of splash 'flowers'

The original painitng was a bit dull 

No comments: