Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, August 06, 2019

Plein Air Tip: Don't Forget to Pack One of the These!



'Summer in the Garden'.      7x5           plein air pastel      ©Karen Margulis
available $100


Here is a piece of plein air equipment that you will be glad to have along....a vinyl table cloth! I have had my trusty turquoise table cloth for years and it goes on every painting trip with me. Mine is actually just half a cloth. My friend Jayne gave me half on one of our excursions and it has come in handy many a time. Make room for one in your bag!

my trusty vinyl tablecloth for plein air
  • Use it for a tablecloth! It is nice to have when you are taking a lunch break and the picnic table is questionable. It makes lunch fancier! If you don't have a picnic table even better to use on the ground or convenient rock.
  • Use it for a ground cloth. Protect your gear and your feet from cold ground or early morning dew. Lay the cloth down before setting up.
  • Use it for a seat. If you don't feel like setting up your easel, find a good spot, lay down the cloth and sit to paint. You are now protected from rocks and bugs.
  • Use it to cover your gear or yourself if you get caught in the rain.
  • Use it to protect a table or chair when painting without an easel. I use mine when I am 'lounge chair' painting.

Update: I now bring a foldable pocket picnic blanket which takes up less room. I recently got one at Amazon which even includes small stakes! There are many options for these on Amazon!

No comments: