Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Saturday, February 22, 2020

Remaking Demo Scraps with a bit of Alcohol part II

'Serenity by the Sea'              8.5 x 8.5             pastel             ©Karen Margulis
sold
You know me. I don't like to waste good paper. I often use scraps of pastel paper to illustrate lessons. They are not even complete demos. I call them demo scraps. No matter the size of these scraps I will find a way to reuse the paper even if it means cutting them down to mini size.

Recently I did a video review of a Daler Rowney set of 16 soft pastels. In the video I used a piece of Canson unsanded paper and a piece of Uart to show how the pastels performed on the different papers.  I painted a quick apple demo on each piece.

I decided to reuse the papers. I brushed off as much pastel as I could. Then I used a brush and rubbing alcohol to liquify the remaining pastel to create an interesting underpainting. I used very very little alcohol on the unsanded paper and it did great....no buckling.

Here is what the underpaintings looked like once they were dry.

Remaking demo scraps! 
For the second underpainting I decided a dune scene would work well in the square format. The hints of red and violet provided interest among the green foliage. I added back some red violet which hinted at some of the colorful grasses on the dunes.

No comments: