Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Revisiting the Dunes with a Limited Palette

'Serenade by the Sea II'            9x12           pastel               ©Karen Margulis
available $175
 I learned something valuable with this exercise. I learned that I can be resourceful. I learned that I didn't need to have hundreds of pastels to paint a successful painting. I challenged myself with this painting and it felt great. It is easy to paint something you've painted many many times. You intuitively know what pastel sticks will give you the right effect. When you have access to all of your pastels you can reach for your old favorites....the ones that already worked.

Something exciting happens when you take those old favorites away. When you are given a challenge of working with a palette of pastels that is limited in colors....both in intensity and in value. I wondered what I would be able to paint with them. I had to work hard. I had to think things through. In the end I had a painting that I liked more than the same scene I had painted with access to all of my pastels.
                                Tip for working with a limited palette of pastels
Ask yourself questions such as :Do I need this area to be lighter? darker? more intense or more dull? Warmer? Cooler? If you need to adjust the value do it by layering lighter or darker values or use black and white. If you need something to be duller try to layer multiple colors or the complement all will create a more neutral color. 


The Aftermath! I used this set of 16 assorted pastels by Daler Rowney

The underpainting is an alcohol wash with a dark blue Nupastel
This is the version I painted with  a larger palette of Terry Ludwig pastels
Which version do you prefer?  You can see the entire step by step demo of the top painting on my Patreon Page. www.patreon.com/karenmargulis

2 comments:

Tim Moore said...

i like the limited palette painting better, seems to have more color,more true to life. The TL version looks more like your "style"..I cant remember ,did you use the same paper on both?.Or is it just the alcohol wash that filled everything in..either way i like the limited version more..

Hyn Patty said...

I really, really like this painting. Richer colors, seems more layered and less hurried than some. It has a lushness that draws me in. This limited palette worked very well for this painting. Keep up the stunning work.