Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Boardwalk Night Scene

'Wildwood Nights' 18x24 pastel
Some of you may remember this painting as a work in progress I did ages ago. I had put it away because the ferris wheel was giving me fits! I guess I have been on a 'marsh' kick because my last two paintings at class have been marsh scenes. Marsha (my teacher) suggested I try to paint things that I don't usually paint...outside of my comfort zone...like a night scene. So I took this one out and finished it. It's from a photo I took several summers ago. It had just rained so the night sky was cloudy and the lights were reflecting off the puddles on the sand. That was a challenging scene to paint. (the ferris wheel is better but still bothering me) Oh and it's big for me at 18x24 so it looks much more imposing in real life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen,
I really like this one. You have captured the reflection on the wet sand really well. What pastel did you use for the green on the left part of the roller coaster? Love the small red accents too.
Carol

Karen said...

Hi Carol!
Thanks...the small size here really doesnt do it justice. The green is a great American I think. I used my new Ludwig darks all over and I think they were just what this painting needed!