Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, September 26, 2014

A Must Have Plein Air Gadget for under $3

'The Usual Suspects'            11x14           pastel           ©Karen Margulis
click here to purchase $150
It wasn't on my list so I didn't have one with me. I was happily painting out in the meadow. After awhile it was time for a snack so I pulled out a wipe to clean up and took out a granola bar. There was a problem though. I had forgotten a trash bag.  I had nowhere to throw away my trash.  I am out in the country and there are no trash cans. So I shoved the trash in a pocket of my backpack. Not the ideal place for it but it worked in a pinch.

Never again!  I just discovered a must have gadget at Target that will ensure I will never be without a trash bag again.

The bag holder opened to show the roll of baggies

Clipped to my backpack and ready for trash!

It's called a Bag 'N Bags Disposable Bag Dispenser by J.L. Childress Co.  It is a small 3x2" canvas pouch which holds a roll of plastic bags (the kind you use for dog walking duty)  The pouch has a velcro flap and a slit for the bags. The best part is the carbiner clip so you can attach the pouch to your backpack.

Now I will never be out in the field without a trash bag again. I can think of a lot of other reasons why I'll be glad to have a plastic bag so handy...

  • wet clothes 
  • quick rain cover for my pastels in unexpected rain. 
  • A bag to cover a painting in case of sudden rain.
  • several bags could be a makeshift ground cover to protect my bag from wet dewy grass.
  • a bag to hold souvenirs from the field....I could have used one for the pinecones I collected!
Painting notes: Today's painting is a demo for a private class. It is 11x14 on brown Canson paper.

3 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

Good idea!
Too often I forget mine.... Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the tips! And the painting on Canson paper....very lovely

robertsloan2art said...

Love today's painting, it's extraordinary. I am studying your sky holes in the rows of trees, because I'm learning to negative paint tree shapes that way and they're so beautiful.

Cool gadget! Very convenient. I love it when you paint plein air, you come back with such great paintings.

Those bags would help a lot for when supplies themselves need to be suddenly waterproofed. I had a weird page or two that got rained on while I was out at the clinic garden and wished I'd had something plastic to protect the unfinished page.