Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, December 09, 2018

How to Ship a Pastel Painting: New Video Tutorial


'Winter in the Park'.           9x12         ©Karen Margulis        pastel
available on Etsy  $175

I've got shipping unframed pastel paintings down to a science. Since I have been selling my work online for the past 10 years, I have shipped many pastel paintings to their new homes. The method I use has not failed me. My paintings arrive safe and sound. I only ship unframed paintings. If I need to ship a framed piece to a show I use an airfloat box. 

So what is my shipping method? I make a foamcore sandwich! I just released a video demonstrating how I make the sandwich.Click on the link below to see the video on my YouTube channel. While you are there be sure to follow my channel so you know when a new video is posted.





Here is a written description of the foam core shipping sandwich. 

  1. Cut the foamcore so that it is a few inches larger than the painting. I use a utility knife. I cut a double wide piece, score it in the middle so that it can fold shut.
  2. Tape painting inside the foamcore using white artist tape. I hinge the tape. See my post on hinging tape here.
  3. Cut a piece of glassine paper slightly larger than the painting and tape it down to cover the painting. I usually only tape two sides so the glassine can be lifted to view the painting. I get my glassine on rolls and cut it to fit. A roll lasts me a long time.
  4. Close the cover of the foamcore sandwich and tape shut. I have printed a label with instructions that I put on the foamcore (see below)
  5. I slip my foamcore sandwich into a clearbag that has a self adhesive strip. I include some business cards, a bio, pastel care information and a thank you card.
  6. I have just started to wrap the whole package in nice gift wrap with a handmade card.




Here is the foam core sandwich
The painting is now ready to be slipped into a padded envelope or Priority Mail box depending on it's size. If it is over 8x10 then I have to make my own box from a couple of Priority Mail boxes. I save my Dakota and Blick paper order boxes for shipping large paintings. I use USPS for all of my shipping and after shipping hundreds of paintings I have never had a problem (knocking on wood here!)

A completed package ready to go into a Priority Mail box


I hope that if you are an artist or a buyer you have found this post useful. And of course to see the packaging in purchase why not treat yourself to an original painting! www.etsy.com/shop/karenmargulisfineart



No comments: