Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, April 04, 2019

Throwback Thursday: My First Daisy Painting



'Sunny Days Ahead'        8x10               pastel              ©Karen Margulis
available $155 contact me

I was scrolling through my blog archives looking for workshop photos when I stumbled upon a post from 2005. That was the year I started painting! So the painting I shared were my very first daisy painting and they were plein air no less! Since it is the beginning of plein air season AND I am right in the thick of planning for my wildflower demo at IAPS, I thought it would be fun to share this old blog post and painting.


This week on Wet Canvas, which is an art site I love to follow,  everyone on the Pastel Forum was invited to submit their favorite or most meaningful painting of 2005. I chose this one because I feel it was the most meaningful painting for me. I started taking lessons with Marsha Savage last January and it was the best thing I could have done! I dicovered quickly that I really loved pastels. They suited me and it was so much fun! But it wasn't until I took a Plein Air Workshop at Marsha's cabin in Blue Ridge, Georgia...that I really decided to get serious about my painting. I realized how important it was for me to paint. It was the perfect creative outlet for me...and believe me, I have tried everything over the years! (this was also where Jayne & I discovered that we were kindred spirits..and for that I am grateful) This painting of the daisies was done on location at the home of Mrs. Parks in Blue Ridge. I was packing up my supplies after a morning of painting plein air with the group. I couldn't resist trying to do a quick study of the daisies. So I set my easel up and quickly painted them. It just seemed to flow for me and it was so enjoyable. I was thrilled when during the critique, Marsha said she wouldn't mind owning this painting. I realized that perhaps I had something to offer with my paintings.


The original daisy painting from 2005. 12x9 pastel.

I love looking back can you tell?  I can see glimpses of who I have become in this very raw and emotional response to my subject. Sure it has issues but I have come a long way. The trick is to keep that initial spark and fresh response to our work and not always overthink and over work!


No comments: