Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, April 05, 2019

Tips for Flying with Pastels: New Video





Are you going to the IAPS convention in June?  Maybe you have some travel plans and you are thinking about bringing along your pastels. I never regret bringing some art supplies with me on a trip. Even if it isn't a dedicated painting trip I want to have some pastels with me. I have taken pastels on more flights than I can remember and I have leaned a lot along the way on how to travel with pastels without stress.

In the following quick video I share my tip for stress free travel with pastel. Click on the link to view the video on YouTube.



Here is an example of wording you can use to label your pastel box

I like to use Heilman boxes for travel. www.heilmandesigns.com

I use Profolio books by Itoya to store paper and finished paintings

If I have a regular cardboard pastel box I wrap it in a bubble  envelope
and I make sure it passes the shake test!

I found some more great information on traveling with pastels on the Making Your Mark blog. Here is the link:https://makingamark.blogspot.com/2011/08/top-tips-for-travelling-artists-pastels.html

2 comments:

Lauren Spilsbury said...

Loaded with valuable (and comforting !😄) information. Thanks so much. Karen. I am wondering how Border Security feels about carrying the metal Heilman easel in my carry-on bag. Do you have any ideas on this ? Thank you.

Karen said...

Hi Lauren, I have not had ant trouble with the easel attachment in my carry on. But as with anything it is going to depend on the individual agent and what they feel they need to look at.