Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, January 24, 2020

Does Paper Color Matter?

'Hidden Meadow II'.              12x9         pastel         ©Karen Margulis
available $175


There really is no right or wrong. When it comes to choosing paper color every choice will give you a different result. No one result is the 'correct' choice. However we can make better choices. We can choose the paper color that will better help us express our concept for the painting. 

It helps if you know what you hope to express with your painting. Ask yourself before you start....what mood do I want? What are the weather conditions? How do I want the viewer to feel?

Then choose colors that will help create the feeling you want. We are experimenting with paper color over on my Patreon group. This yellow wildflower painting was one of my recent demos. I painted the same subject with the same palette of pastels on two different paper colors. The left side is blue Canson paper and the right side is a dull orange piece.  Can you see the difference the paper color can make?


The blue or cool version on the left and the orange warm version on the right

Have you tried my Patreon group yet? I am so excited about the plans I have for 2020 and I would love for you to join our warm and welcoming group. Not only will you get a guided program of weekly videos, lessons and challenges, you will have access to over 2 years of lessons! All for just $4 a month. It really is a bargain and I work hard every day to ensure the content is fun and accessible!
www.patreon.com/karenmargulis

No comments: