Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Monday, March 30, 2020

State Three is Utah! Watch the Video Demo!

'Our Beautiful Desert'                    11x14                 pastel                ©Karen Margulis
available for sale in my Etsy shop 

My project continues. The third state painting is Utah! This time we turned the camera on and made a video set to music. I hope you enjoy watching a few minutes of desert zen! Please feel free to share with your friends! Click on the link below to go to my YouTube channel.





I worked from a small photo and small color study

Our first visit to Utah was back in the 90's . Our kids were 9 and 6 and we went on a grand circle tour of the southwest planned and executed by me! This was before the internet so I spent a year planning the details. I took out travel books and guides from the library and wrote to potential hotels and attractions for brochures.  The planning was almost as much fun as the trip.....almost. The trip was an adventure of a lifetime. We visited most National parks in Utah and Arizona as well as some memorable stops in western Colorado. I was not painting back then but I was very much into photography. I took slides on this trip so I don't have photos to paint from. (I am looking into getting them scanned)

Fortunately I made several trips to the Southwest once I began painting including the trip that inspired today's painting. I had been painting with pastels for a couple of months when Michael and I took a getaway trip to Moab, Utah. I had done some research and found an artist who was working in pastel. He was also a photography guide. We took a tour and he brought us to same amazingly beautiful off the beaten path places. He also gave us a tour of his studio which fueled my excitement for pastel! I came home from that trip inspired and encouraged to master pastel!


The pastels I used were the Red Rock collection of Terry Ludwig pastels

I used a few extra pastels for the underpainting and final touches

Subscribe to Painting My World by Karen Margulis by Email

No comments: