Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, April 16, 2020

New Jersey is State 7 in my Project!

'Morning at the Pond'                  9x12             pastel           ©Karen Margulis
available $175

It is hard to believe that a year ago I was teaching a workshop at one of my favorite places in the world the Goshen School of Art at Crow Creek Farm in Goshen New Jersey.  Now I am adapting to changing times and getting ready to film my first virtual workshop!  I am fortunate to have a treasure chest of memories and photos to revisit these special places. So as part of my Paint our Beautiful World project I choose New Jersey as my state number seven.

The painting is did was inspired by the pond on the farm. I was intrigued by the light and the contrast between the bare trees of early spring and the emergence of spring flowers. I used Art Graf pigment squares to do a dark underpainting on Canson Touch paper. It gave me a bold and simple start which allowed me to gradually add the detail of a complicated woodland scene. I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting this special place. 

If you would like to take a virtual visit click on the link below. It should open up all of the blog posts I have made about my visits to the farm both as a student of Stan Sperlak and an instructor.


April 2019








Wet underpainting with Art Graf pigment blocks

1 comment:

MYSTELIOS said...

Very nice art work !!!